Frick, I had no idea such a mindblowing collaboration ever existed... Vladimir Horowitz, Isaac Stern, and Mstislav Rostropovič (palpitations, palpitations) performing the Tchaikovsky Piano Trio in A minor at Carnegie Hall on May 18th, 1976. Can you imagine having been there...? I wouldn't have known who to watch more. I'm especially smitten by the photograph selected to accompany the clips.
Horowitz, Stern, and Rostropovič: Tchaikovsky Piano Trio in A minor, Op.50, 1st movement: Pezzo elegiaco (Part I)
Horowitz, Stern, and Rostropovič: Tchaikovsky Piano Trio in A minor, Op.50, 1st movement: Pezzo elegiaco (Part II)
And this is my beloved Rach Piano Concerto #2 in C minor. Recorded in 1929 for RCA, here is none other than Rachmaninoff himself performing his own immortal composition, accompanied by the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra under the conductorship of Leopold Stokowski. It always amazes me that we can actually hear some of the greatest classical composers actually perform their own works the way they heard them in their own heads as they were committing notes to paper... Doesn't it blow your mind, too? Rachmaninoff playing Rachmaninoff!!! Geez!!! How fricking cool is that?!?
Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto #2, First Movement ~ performed by Sergei Rachmaninoff


No comments:
Post a Comment