Wednesday, October 01, 2008
And now, it's time for a Commercial Break.
Right. Sod everything I said about Postman yesterday and watch these commercials instead. Their pure awesomeness is just awesomely awesome. Is awesome. Are awesome. Awesoooooome!!!
(A while back, one of my favourite on-line haunts was AdCritic.com, before it got bought out and became all corporate. (Ha ha, what's new?) These two first commercials incidentally came from that era when AC was still cool, and I must confess, I am such an ad junkie when it comes to a good one.)
VW New Beetle in *~'~*Vapor*~'~* ~ Music: Hooverphonic ~ "Renaissance Affair"
I love this one because it introduced me to Hooverphonic and is incredibly seductive in that ethereal, cool, Northern European kind of way; "Neighbours complain, sheets are stilled..." Makes me want to pounce someone and bite him on the neck.
Also, I've always had a soft spot for the revamped VW Beetle ~~ after all, who wouldn't love a car that comes with its own vase for a giant gerbera daisy? (Back when our software stock options were rocking as hard as golfballs, Boy promised me one of these as an incentive to get a driver's licence. Then I decided to upgrade to a Mini-Cooper with cool-ass racing stripes or a Union Jack... but then we bred and The Bubble bubbled and I still haven't gotten a licence yet. Guess that damned urban living with decent transit, an inherent green streak, and a pathological terror of killing another human being does that to you.)
AIWA: Queen ~ "Another One Bites The Dust"
This one is so effing sweet. I remember finding this one, shooting the link over to Boy at work, and by the end of the day, everyone at Real was singing this... complete with requisite headsnapping and white-man's overbite. This commercial also has sentimental value because my Dad's an acoustical engineer/consultant/EQ dealer who'd get cool, flashy pro-sound duds from conferences, companies, and stuff. And no one ever knew what my AIWA, Akai, JVC, JBL, Yamaha, and Hitachi t-shirts were all about until high school, when I met the cute boys who aspired to play in bands. Heh heh. ;-) Except most were into Les Guns et Rose and Led Zeppelin. Huh. :-(
Ikea: The Lamp
Now legendary for its narrative technique and effective personification of an inanimate object, this one has the best ending ever. Also, it was directed by none other than the Spike Jonze.
Starburst: "Berries and Cream"
Does loving this guy and his gleaming stare make me a sick, sick fuck?
Bad Idea Jeans
Just watch it. This is another treasure I discovered long, long ago on AdCritic. Priceless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment