
Note: A cover of a song is only worthy if it not only takes a grand departure stylistically from the original, but also embeds ~ in its own right ~ a mark in cultural consciousness. Examples of exemplary covers include Jimi Hendrix's version of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower, Jeff Buckley's rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, Johnny Cash's take on Nine Inch Nails' Hurt, and William Shatner's shameless ownership of Pulp's Common People.
One of these days, I swear I shall write a homage piece about one of my favourite bands ever: the musically~ and socially~revolutionary New Order. The sheer magnitude and reach of their massive influence on popular culture ~ and even world economics ~ reaches far beyond their native Manchester, and is described somewhat fleetingly but very sympathetically in Michael Winterbottom's brilliantly tongue-in-cheek fauxcumentary, "24 Hour Party People." In the meantime, however, this post will pay respects to a singer~songwriter who's just dignified them in his newest album by doing a spectacularly simple cover of one of their songs.
Logging into Rhapsody tonight, a mini feature for Iron and Wine's just-released "Around the Well" came up in the homepage's editorial window, and it especially intrigued me with the promise of a New Order cover. With great anticipation, I gleefully opened the new album's screen, eyes scanning up and down the list to spot the song in question.
My heart sank. It was Love Vigilantes, a song off their fairly seminal 1985 release "Low~Life." This was a track to which I barely ever gave any notice in my two-plus decades as a fan because sonically, I found it to be one of their perkier, goofier-sounding songs; somehow, it didn't give me the same thrill as their darker, more contemplative works. However, my curiosity as to why Iron and Wine's Sam Beam decided to cover this particular song was piqued, and upon listening to his version and looking up the lyrics, I totally understand. How I could have bypassed such an incredible song for so many years is a crying shame, and I must thank Iron and Wine for now bringing it to my attention.
Iron and Wine ~ "Love Vigilantes" (2009)
Interestingly enough, Beam changes two key words in the last verse which manages to entirely tweak the original tale. New Order's Bernard Sumner sings, "And with tears, her eyes were sore," whereas Beam sings, "And with tears, her eyes did soar." Of course, based on the context of the song, this change could take on different connotations, but all more optimistic. This may possibly be an indication of his hope of a brighter future for his countryman in light of the new administration's policy of peace-making, as opposed to the former's tendency to war-mongering. Who's to say? Regardless of which, it is most absolutely a worthy, incredibly poignant cover.
And because this is an Iron and Wine post, I'd like to add the first gorgeous song that forever caught me on his hook. We discovered it late one night on MTV2's Subterranean while we were living in Miami, and we'd then listen to it over and over again. Not surprisingly, it now reminds me of the hot, dreamy sultriness of that strange land and its strong Latin culture.
And even though it's Spanish flamenco in the video ~ not salsa ~ it cracks me up because it also brings to visceral mind the guys I know in BJJ who are learning salsa dancing. I just can't help but picture them sashaying and swivelling their tiny hips amongst these stunning women in the video, wearing glittery tight pants and unbuttoned silk shirts. Oh dear... my imagination has just hit a new, giggly low. I really ought to be ashamed.
Iron and Wine ~ "Boy with a Coin" (2007)
And because I simply can not entirely neglect New Order in this post, here is a fantastic song with a hysterical video parodying... you'll see. It comes off their 1987 release of Substance ~ an absolutely stunning album I've literally run hundreds of kilometres singing along to. I'd like to see the Silversun Pickups cover this one...
New Order ~ "Touched by the Hand of God" (1987)
Photo credit: the iron wine rack above can be purchased at the following website.


I like New Order a lot as well! Have you seen the movie 'Control'? It's about Joy Division... so, bascially New Order in the beginning. Obviously, not a happy movie but great music.
ReplyDeleteHolly
Hey, Haw-Yee!!! No, I haven't seen "Control" yet, and even had it out from the library for a while but never got to watching it before it was due back. Still really want to see it, though! Have you seen "24 Hour Party People"? I absolutely adored it.
ReplyDeleteStill strongly considering the girls' Portland roadtrip weekend after next; if I do come, shall we bring some old New Order and U2 for the road? I have "Substance" and "Republic," but can probably get my hands on some "Get Ready" if I'm fast! Like lightening!
"William Shatner's shameless ownership of Pulp's Common People"
ReplyDeleteYou are totally overlooking Shatner's totally ownership of "Rocket Man", you know. Or even his rendition of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" which is absolutely brilliant.
And speaking of Buckley, This Mortal Coil did a beautiful rendition of ""Song to the Siren", imo.
-Girl Friday
Wow, point taken, dearest GF! I did totally forget about those three, which are indubitably brilliant. Speaking of which, I'm going to check out "Song to the Siren" right about now!
ReplyDeleteTruth be told, however, in the interest of brevity, I also neglected to include some other favourite ~ though not necessarily ground-breaking ~ covers, such as Sarah Slean's "Climbing Up the Walls" (Radiohead), Damien Rice & Lisa Hannigan's "Get The Party Started" (Pink), Johnny Marr's "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" (movie theme), The Smashing Pumpkins' "Never Let Me Down" (Depeche Mode), The White Stripes' "Jolene" (Dolly Parton), Slowdive's "Some Velvet Morning" (Nancy Sinatra)... So much good music out there, and not enough time to listen it all...
I seriously miss the hell out of you. This "not seeing one another" is for the birds. I don't even know what the phrase means, but I'm just sayin'--it's time to get Pig-Some-Day-Of-the-Week back.
ReplyDelete