
British Booty does it again. If she weren't already such an amazing girlfriend, artist, cook, wife, mother, writer, PTA member, band promotor, fellow gig-girl, and driver, now add "photographer" to her CV. Coming back from Sasquatch at the Gorge yesterday, she was not only full of fun tales to regale ("I caught the tail-end of The Walkmen's set, and it was 'The Rat'!" (grrrr)) and dark chocolate-covered ginger for me to shovel down my throat, but she'd also taken a smack-load of mind-blowing photographs to captivate. My favourite of all was this one:

Granted, though it is Jane's Addiction's Mr. Navarro ~ whom I find absolutely repellent in the spray-his-chair-down-with-Lysol-before-letting-your-kids-touch-it kind of way ~ the picture is simply stunning. I think I especially like it because it reminds me of the moment in Clash of the Titans where Zeus punishes Thetis' son, Calibos, for senselessly massacring his entire herd of flying horses ~ save Pegasus. In the scene, Zeus selects a carved figurine of Calibos from his collection of mortals and places it in an amphitheatre. The camera then shifts to the figure's shadow, and with the use of crappy special effects, we see Calibos' beauty transform into a disfigured Pan-like creature. BB's photograph of Navarro looks exactly like the silhouette of the transfigured Calibos, which ~ I think ~ is actually kind of funny.
For fans or newbies to the film, prepare yourself for a Terribly Retro Moment (TRM™)... and enjoy!
Clash of the Titans ~ Original Movie Trailer (1981)
photo credit: David Navarro, of Jane's Addiction, brilliantly captured by British Booty at Sasquatch 2009.


1981!
ReplyDeleteAs I was watching this my kids said "hey, is that Night at the Museum?"
I just read that they are remaking this with Sam Worthington as Perseus, Liam Neeson as Zeus and Ralph Fiennes as Hades.
I remember really liking this movie as a kid. Though I think I'll like it more with the new cast and updating special effects!
Holly
Oh my gosh, how exciting!!! Liam Neeson as Zeus? Ralph Fiennes seems to be getting typecast a lot now as a bad guy. I really miss him in his old "English Patient" and "End of the Affair" days... you know, when he was getting typecast as a bachelor who hooked up with married women!
ReplyDeleteWow, the special effects in this new version should be so much better, though! Because even as a kid watching this, I would lose my suspension of disbelief and start laughing at the crappy SE's they attempted, especially with Medusa, the Kraken, and Thetis' talking statue head.
A favourite highlight, though, still has to be, "The Eye! You must give us The Eye!!!" I squawk that every once in a while quite randomly, and no one ever seems to get the reference... they just kind of shuffle away a little further. teehee.