Friday, November 21, 2008

Yaaaaay... Fresh Underwear! (and why women love to have gay male friends...)







Laundry done, fresh undies on! This calls for a toast. TOAST! *CliNk!*

Next order of business: Supe is coming tonight!!! Whooooo hoooooooooooo!!! May see her in less than an hour, depending on when her flight gets in... YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!

Secondly, I have a sinking suspicion the decaf mocha I relished from The Mocha Hut last night was, in fact, quite loaded. Watching the sun rise this morning and last registering 7:39am on my cellphone would probably be pretty good indicators that I imbibed non-negligible amounts of caffeine; this, after having successfully ~ and rather painfully ~ cleared it out of my system a few weeks ago. Then Grendel head-bonked and purred me awake just after 9, and I woke up absolutely wired. Which could explain my day-long low, low mood and head-reeling fatigue. Nevertheless, the realization that I'll be seeing Supe so soon is spiking my energy levels and mood back up, so it's aaaaall good.


Anyway, preamble aside, as I was meandering up and down U Street last night, I noticed a lot of people out and about, eating in restaurants and bistros, drinking in bars and cafés. U Street was humming with grown-up chatter. And it reminded me of a lament I commonly hear from my single, fabulous, career-focussed girlfriends, who mourn the loss of intimates who fall off the social map because those close friends first find mates, then eventually go into family-incubating mode. As the years roll on, single girlfriends increasingly lose close, regular "call-up" friends with whom to hang out, expounding a sense of loneliness and reminding them of their ticking biological clocks. Which made me wonder.

Was this one reason of the many reasons why women so love to nurture close friendships with gay male friends? What were the other definite perks? Shall I give it a shot? (Of course, I will be making gross generalizations based on my own GMFs, but I guess that's fair enough, too.) Here goes!

1. Gay Male Friends are often endowed with a marked sensitivity to finer aesthetic sensibilities that their straight male counterparts may not as readily or commonly employ... unless they're artistically-inclined, mamas' boys, or closet cases. You can take GMFs shopping ~ actually, they often want to take you shopping! ~ and don't complain about how long it's taking you to find a dress in the perfect cut and shade. In fact, they tend to enjoy (gasp!) involvement in such activities.

2. GMFs are often erudite, well-read, witty, and entertaining as hell. They can be as catty as the next girl, or as sweet and gentle as the next girl. But they're almost always interesting company. Almost always. (Could have something to do with being a generally-persecuted population, which tends to propagate more unique personalities.)

3. As a result of basic biology and depending on local laws, GMFs don't usually become unavailable for social engagements for years at a time because they generally don't breed. And since childcare is rarely going to be an issue ~ if at all, GMFs are probably more ready for a spontaneous chat-and-cry session, dinner, drink, or movie than, say, a girlfriend who has three children at home.

4. GMFs don't turn to you with their hearts on their sleeves and mortification in their eyes and say, "Hey. I have a terrible confession to make. I have really strong feelings for you, and always have..."

5. The mates of GMFs don't tend to become jealous of you or insecure about your presence in their partners' lives quite simply because you're a girl... and therefore not a sexual threat. Husbands also don't mind GMFs overmuch either, because GMFs can't possibly entertain dirty thoughts about you. Husbands may feel a little creeped out about being leered at or gently ribbed about how hot he might be considered by your GMFs, but it's a small sacrifice to be made to keep you happy. On the other hand, it's far too common to lose the intimate friendship of straight male friends when they get married. And vice versa. Believe me, I know.

6. You and your GMF can gripe about men together. Straight men don't like to gripe about other men, maybe because they're not gay and don't have to deal with men on a romantic level.

7. You don't have to worry about having a GMF turn to you, profess his love, then blow his top because he claims you've been leading him on by being a good friend and hanging out with him on a regular basis. GMFs are danged-happy to have you as a friend simply by virtue of your wonderful personality, not because you could be a potential fuck-buddy if you one day feel so inclined.

8. You can change your clothes in front of them... and it's fine!

9. GMFs don't date-rape girls. A small population of straight male friends do.

10. GMFs can offer a guy's perspective that straight girl friends can not. GMFs are still guys, have lots of testosterone, and enough male socialization (perhaps) to be useful this way. Their advice can be indispensible.

11. No vibes. No complications. Just pure friendship. Simple, simple, simple.

Need I say more?

(Additions? Subtractions? Editions for retractions? Speak!)


1 comment:

  1. Shit, girl, you reading my diary? Was talking to Tim about this just the other day over a big fat GnT...! BTW, he says hi and wants to know when you're coming back to V, and that he misses being your bitchy GMF. Write us sometime.

    ReplyDelete