
Life can be so surprising. About a week before I left, in honour of my upcoming journey, I changed the profile photo, quotation, and song to my now very depressed little MySpace page; the photograph I posted is from a Pompeiian fresco, depicting a young girl with a pen and writing tablet. What makes this picture so incredibly special to me is twofold: I discovered and fell in love with it when I was seven, and my ensuing fascination with Pompeii kickstarted my life-long obsession with history and archaeology. Also, I simply identified with her.
In case you're interested about the rest, I chose Radiohead's "Exit Music (for a Film)," and the quotation I used was by Freya Stark, from "Baghdad Sketches":
To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world. You are surrounded by adventure. You have no idea of what is in store for you, but you will, if you are wise and know the art of travel. Let yourself go on the stream of the unknown and accept whatever comes in the spirit in which the gods may offer it. For this reason your customary thoughts, all except the rarest of your friends, even most of your luggage--everything, in fact, which belongs to your everyday life, is merely a hindrance. The tourist travels in his own atmosphere like a snail in his shell and stands, as it were, on his own perambulating doorstep to look at the continents of the world. But if you discard all this, and sally forth with a leisurely and a blank mind, there is no knowing what may not happen to you.
(And here's some nice music for you, too, just in case you like nice music. Not happy, mind you, but heartbreakingly, starkly beautiful.)
Radiohead ~ "Exit Music (for a Film)" with scenes from Zeffirelli's "Romeo & Juliet"
Anyway, on my first day here, Saint Cat and I rented a ZipCar so she could give me a whizzy little tour of the town, and as we drove by this massive building, I squeaked, "Oh my gosh... LOOK!!!" One of the museums had a special exhibition called, "Pompeii and the Roman Villa." It was insane, because this subject matter went right back to my roots, to my intrinsic interests and the things in life that give me so much joy and pleasure. So, I bookmarked that exhibit as a must-see.
Well, in trying to decide what to do today, SC suggested I try the National Gallery first, even though it's not officially a Smithsonian. "But no, what about the Air and Space Museum? Sculpture Museum? Portrait Gallery? Archives? Natural History???" "Listen, trust me on this one. You will LOVE the National Gallery, and the bus will take you right there from in front of the apartment."
Well!
So this morning, while waiting for the water to be turned back on by building management so I could shower, I googled to see where the Pompeii exhibit was showing... and lo and behold: it was at the National Gallery itself, and there were documentary showings on the exhibit up until 3! Thus, got my skates on, grabbed the bus which was delayed by yet more emergency response vehicles (this town really is the City of Sirens! Practically non-stop!), and hurtled myself down blocks and blocks after getting off to try to catch the last showing of the film.
After a few missteps, I finally arrived at the NG... but at the wrong building!!! The exhibit was over at the East Building, featuring modern and contemporary art, and I was over at the West Building, where all the good old stuff is. But oh my gosh... I nearly just decided to toss Pompeii for another day as I scarpered my way through the West Building to get to the East. Absolutely could not breathe for what I was seeing all around me; the paintings were ones I'd ogled in books forever. And there's also a Jan Lievens exhibit I had to run right past... I have such a sickness for Flemish art, especially landscapes, so this will be absolutely grand. Another Date for another date! Jan, I shall be all yours for the taking tomorrow.
What's kind of startling about the National Gallery is how uncrowded it is; it has the magnificence of the Louvre and familiarity of the Uffizi in terms of its collection, but is surprisingly unbusy. Maybe it's just the time of year, and the way it's laid out. Nevertheless, I know where I'll be again within the next twelve hours! (By the way, the Pompeii exhibit was pretty cool, but what was funny/ironic was how inundated the gift shop was with books, calendars, puzzles, etc with their covers adorned by the Pompeiian girl with the pen! Ah, Life... you funny old thing.)
Righty-ho, then! Here are just a few treasures I came across today that I wanted to share with you. The first piece I saw when I had a chance to stop and breathe (and await the next showing of the Pompeii doc) was by one of my favourite artists of all time:
The West Gallery as I was leaving.
And the East Gallery.
The Capitol Building from a path in the dark.And finally, my last big discovery of tonight: British Booty's father's work has a museum here, too! I wonder if he has stuff in there, or if there are American sculptors who provide work for the American branch. Will have to check it out. In the meantime... time to let Saint Cat have her bedroom back. Goodnight, y'all!
















Yes, all the Mme Tussauds sculptures are made in London and then shipped to their exhibitions worldwide! I know he has a Beyonce figure in there... BB
ReplyDelete