Sunday, June 28, 2009

Let's play Identimatch!











I suspect I'm not alone in my enjoyment of this fun little activity, but every once in a while I'll hear a chord progression, riff, or something that triggers a, "Hey, that's either a blatant rip-off, homage bit, or crazy coinkidink, 'cuz I've heard that before! It sounds a lot like..." And it's always fun to check out my hunch and actually get it totally right. It's even more of a killer score when it's in exactly the same key.

(Another game I play for kicks is matching the end of a song by one band or composer and setting it to another completely different piece, but having it blend in absolutely seamlessly so it sounds like it's just a continuation.)

My newest delightful discovery would have to be the Silversun Pickups' "Growing Old is Getting Old" where ~ at 3:13 into the song ~ there's an E7 passage that sounds strikingly familiar. Check out this amazing song off their stunning sophomore album, Swoon, then listen to the next song by one of my favourite old psych~shoegazer bands, Lush, off Spooky.



Silversun Pickups ~ "Growing Old is Getting Old" (2009)



Lush ~ "Nothing Natural" (1992)



Cool, eh? Even the rhythm in the bassline is a great match!




Here's another fun pairing, and I'm sure (or at least totally hoping!) the echo is a homage ~ not a ripoff ~ of Adam and the Ants' drums from "Kings of the Wild Frontier" (used so seductively well by Sofia Coppolla in Marie Antoinette's love scene)... because I'm really liking this new song by the White Rabbits.

Sessy, sessy drums. Sessy, sessy bass. Killer climax.

Long live the Kings.



Adam & the Ants ~ "Kings of the Wild Frontier" (1980)




White Rabbits ~ "Percussion Gun" (2009)





I'm still trying to figure out which New Order song Interpol's gorgeous "Take You On a Cruise" reminds me of... it's been driving me nuts for years. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?



No comments:

Post a Comment