Friday, January 16, 2009

"Like a Girl Drink!"







Tonight, Jeeps (7), ArJay (5), SiKay (3), and I (33) were schlepping along Belltown's First Ave enroute to meeting up with So-Done-With-Work Boy (39). Our excited chatter was interrupted by an old guy, unfortunately a little worse for wear and carrying nothing else but a paperbagged bottle. Inevitably, he asked for some funds, and with a sad twist to my lips, I had to say I didn't have any... which was also sadly the truth. As both parties continued on their divergent paths, ArJay murmured softly, "Mommy, I wish I brought my money. That way I could give him some of mine."

Touched beyond belief by his habitual kindness and tenderness, I explained gently that sometimes the best way you can help hungry and homeless people is by bringing them food, or by volunteering at a soup kitchen or food bank. "Sometimes you don't know if they'll use the money you give them to buy things that are really bad for themselves. And the problem is that some things, like drugs and alcohol, have chemicals in them that make people feel kind of good for just a short little while, but completely destroy their brains and insides, like their livers and stuff. The worst thing of all is that people's bodies and brains get used to having stuff like that inside, so when they don't get it, their bodies can actually hurt for it and their brains just keep telling them to get more, and then they get totally addicted to it. Then they end up wanting that kind of stuff more than things that are actually good for them, like healthy food."

ArJay processed it for a second, then his eyes lit up and he exclaimed, "Oh! Like a Girl Drink!"

As I collapsed over from laughing, Jeeps piped in, "'Cuz it tastes like CANDY!!!"

I take no responsibility for Kids in the Hallifying my offspring; it was all Cool Mint's fault for bringing it up in the first place.


1 comment: