Saturday, September 05, 2009

My Little Conspiracy














I am hellbent on a mission, and a time sensitive one at that. With Greece exactly four weeks and one day away, I must act swiftly: photos to flash, tactical tactics with which to tactfully attack, phone calls to hopefully make. Like Ralphie, his much lusted-after Red Ryder BB gun, and that pesky little Christmas Eve deadline in A Christmas Story, the hints will drop faster and furiouser, becoming increasingly bolder and glaring until Chef Boy finally *snaps*... somehow or other.

I am referring, of course, to Operation: Fresh Ink.

Recently, I came across an article in the Smithsonian's fabulous online food journal, Food & Think, a Heaping Helping of Food News, Science, and Culture. In it, writer Amanda Benson describes how the USDA’s Agricultural Research Service is working on a new method of tagging food in a less wasteful and aggravating manner; no need for paper and glue for stickers that leave gummy patches on smooth vegetable skins like tomatoes, or inky stamps on fruit skins that stain your hands and wet counters.


"The concept is pretty simple — a carbon dioxide laser beam etches the words or numbers straight onto the fruit’s skin, cauterizing it in a way that creates a permanent marking or 'tattoo' (ironically, perhaps, the same type of laser can be used to remove human tattoos). The technique was developed by researchers in Florida and seems to work well on grapefruit; it’s still being tested on tomatoes, avocados and other fruits.

Aesthetics aside, laser labeling could be a boon for food safety, since tracking down the source of pathogens (last summer’s salmonella outbreak in jalapenos, for example) can be notoriously tricky in our complex global food supply." (Amanda Benson for The Smithsonian Magazine)



The best and most mobilizing part of the article, however, is at the bottom, where she includes some pictures of food-inspired tattoos, and I was reminded of my now-critical quest. Let me explain.

Boy and I have this pseudo-tacit ~ okay, totally overt ~ agreement where we alternate turns getting tattoos; we independently got our first ones years ago, had our second pieces done at the same time in Galway, and I acquired my number three last July. He has yet to get his number three. And I'm dying for number four. Greedy, yes? YES! But still.

My conundrum is this: it has naturally transpired that each piece I've had the honour to be adorned with thus far has been done by a different artist in an important city and country for me: #1 was in my hometown of Vancouver, Canada, after moving to the US and missing the city desperately; #2 was in Galway, Ireland, where I'd like to die; #3 was in Seattle, USA, where I currently live and love. Just to maintain the accidental and fine tradition, I can't get another one here in Seattle, and don't see anywhere else possible in the next few aeons where I can possibly get my next one, except... y-e-e-e-e-s. There.

And the influence of ancient Greece in my life is utterly substantial and incalculable. Even my name happens to be Greek, and my special name day (as significant to Greeks as one's birthday) is January 28th. My body is just begging to be marked again... this time in Greece!

However, in all fairness, I technically can't get another one until Boy gets his #3, and I'm dying to book some appointments ~ one for the each of us. I know exactly what I'm going to get, and have already researched the best place to get it, too. Now if I can only schedule a prerequisite consultation for Boy with Clarke at Slave to the Needle so he can get his piece, then I can go ahead and call on Dimitri at Nico's to get inked with something gorgeous, symbolic, and dangerous... drawn by my brother's hand.

The awesome thing is, Boy already even has the perfect tat in mind. Back when he went to culinary school in Vancouver, he graduated at the top of his school, got the support of every highly-revered instructor there who attested he'd not only make an amazing chef, but was so brilliant he could easily open up his own restaurant and run the business end of things, and they were willing to back him up.

Of the three awards he won, he was also given a super sweet Japanese MAC Mighty knife, shown at the top of this post. Which would look awesome on his inner arm, no? Meaningful for him on so many different levels, aesthetically balanced and beautiful to see, and simply badass. What crazy cool chef isn't embellished spectacularly with wicked food tattoos? Unfortunately, he's treating the prospect of getting a new piece with the same amount of enthusiasm as that vasectomy I keep bringing up. Dammit.

I think he just needs to be a little inspired...






Parts of Piggy tat; photo by Marc Carroll.







This was a piece done by Nathan Kostechko for a vegan friend of his, who admits to breaking down once a year and having a big, fat, juicy one.







The Morton's Salt Girl





My Grand Conspiracy is hatched; all I have to do now is convince a Special Someone to get stamped and bloodied so I can, too...

Wish me luck!



7 comments:

  1. Have you ever thought about changing your tradition? I mean, instead of getting new ink simply because you are in a different city--you get new ink to celebrate/recognize a new achievement? Like fulfilling that long promise of learning to drive?

    Just a thought.

    Another thought--don't rush somebody else's ink. It's permanent, personal, and shouldn't be done on the whims of someone else.

    If you feel that you absolutely must get a tat rightthisveryminute (and we'll have to agree to disagree on that one), then it is probably most wise to be up front about your desire instead of pushing someone else to do it simply so you can indulge in what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My beloved Girl Friday:

    As usual, you are absolutely right, and I thank you as always for your fearless honesty in never being afraid to tell me where I'm obviously messing up; I am being completely selfish and inconsiderate about the thing. But honestly, I would never consider bungee-cording him to a dolly and present him to Clarke for a tat if it weren't for this fact: he's been dying to get it for years, pretty much since he won that knife in four years ago. The only reason he didn't get it then was because the guy who did mine and my brother's tat was in prison for HD-related connections, and we were too lazy to find someone else at the time.

    Then came Miami, and we joked about the kitsch factor of having it done at Miami Ink, but again, we just never followed through. It's like that muffler you keep meaning to fix, and then eventually it just falls of in the middle of the I-5 and then you're kind of like, "hmmm, should've had that done a while ago."

    So when I got my owl, he was upset for so many justifiable reasons, and has said I'm not allowed to get my next one (of course) until he gets his. And yes, he still really, really wants it, but for some reason keeps stalling, like me and driving lessons. I'll bring up booking an appointment for him (which I have done now for over a year now, even before I got this newest piece), and he'll shrug and say he's busy this week, or how is he going to hold Thai pads or use his arms for panantukan with fresh ink so maybe wait until Christmas (which is what he said last Christmas, and then we had to buy presents so there was no money or time for tats), or how about when we've spent under the family budget for a few weeks, or have done a family vacation first, or whatever? Or how about during a week when I didn't spend money buying the kids clothes or school supplies or had family birthdays where we had to spend money on presents? And of course, my airfare to Greece, which of course will nullify his getting a piece pretty much forever.

    He's putting his tattoo on the bottom rung of financial priorities, which is totally, absolutely, undeniably right, but I just wish I could get one in Greece, just 'cuz it' be really neat on a bunch of different "meaningful" levels, but still. It's not that important. And yes, I totally know a) it's totally *not* going to happen, and b) I'm just being immature and selfish.

    And thank you, as always, for your unblinking, loving honesty. I really do appreciate it.

    ~ jitsulassie

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! and ps. Speaking of kitsch, if you're not too mad at me about this tattoo business, will we be able to swing a Pig at some point this week, or have me stop off en route home with the kids to drop it off? Cuz I still have a lil' prezzie for you that I promise will make you laugh/cheer you up every time you see it.

    xxoo, jl

    ReplyDelete
  4. And YES, I am totally, incredibly thankful he's lettig me go on this trip. Unbelievably thankful. Crazy grateful and quite shocked, really. Don't get me wrong. This trip totally beats a tat any day. I may honestly never get another one, but that's okay. Boy is awesome just for letting me go. I know how lucky I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, I seem to come across wayyyy more harshly in the written word than I do (hopefully) in person. I was half-ribbing you and half-serious. Pardon my rudeness, please.

    I figured that your Manly Man was worried about finances and so is being hmm-haw about the whole thing. No reason not to at least do consultations and get pricings.

    You train tonight and Thursday, nu? I've got Wednesday and Thursday booked but eh...I think I'm free on Friday and tonight. I'm driving tomorrow so I can be out a little bit late this evening if you can swing it after class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drat, probably nu kin du tonight; Boy and I kept talking about sneaking out at some point over the past weekend to check out the carnage that is the Baranof, or at last hit the Pig or Gainsbourg for some imbibing interest. Unfortunately, it either got too late or us too tired to venture out. Thus, I think he'd feel betrayed and horrified if I even asked to go out tonight, but perhaps a quicky on Friday night? I'll check with him... I'll try to get him out tonight after my class so at least it'll free me up for a date later in the week with you!

    And speaking of imploring husbands for the impossible, how's progress going on the Nigerian dwarf goats, chickens, and Ballard beehive? I refuse to believe AwesomeHusband can actually deny you a beehive... or three? (Did I ever tell you the coolest "clap for credit" course offered at my university was Intro to Apiculture? How can you tell mine was the hippie university of BC? (erm, which is actually saying a lot.) But still... how fricking cool!)

    Good luck, will stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No problem. We'll try for Friday.

    If you can get away from the children, you really should hit the Baranoff before noon on a Sunday for the maximum effect (and I mean, go to the bar--don't wuss out in just the restaurant). Y'all feel like total amateurs.

    If either of you ever wanted a double date at the baranoff, we'd totally join you. I love that place. It's a serious dive.

    Have fun at class tonight!

    AwesomeHusband says that one dog and 2000 worms are enough. Even my hateful cat is too many for him.

    ReplyDelete