*And* they sounded awesome, if I do say so myself.
Some families, they'd play ball on dandelion~sweet summer nights. Other families, they'd bring in the harvest together on cool autumn evenings. Eccentric families, like ours, had secret garage industries where you'd find six~year~olds painting speaker enclosures and soldering wires together and eight~year~olds shooting nails from air compressors and handling sparky electric screwdrivers ~ sometimes all throughout the night during the schoolweek when we had to ship out the next day. Let's not get into what the ten-year-olds had to use. You'd shudder. Really.
No?
Okay, fine. Power saws. Table saws. Mammoth power drillbits.
Oh, yes.
And then you were twelve and invoicing clients, writing politely terse letters for late remittance and doing the taxes. So not joking. I'm guessing some child labour laws were broken at my house.
To make life even spicier, spending one's entire childhood and youth scrutinizing these puppies cranked to 11 to test for distortion (I got the honours of doing this particular job since I was the one born with perfect pitch) does quite a number on one's hearing... which is partially why I'm always needing to lean in to ask, "Pardon me?"
At the same time, I can't really complain; I think the black ones on the floor are the ones I enjoyed in my bedroom until I moved out. Believe me when I say, I don't think I've ever heard speakers as good as those since. As much as I begged, I wasn't allowed to keep them. Bums.
Anyway, speaking of good, old-fashioned, cuddly child labour, check out this wrencher from Radiohead. For once, MTV does good.
Radiohead ~ "All I Need"
photo info: Baby Jeeps at Mom and Dad's, Vancouver, BC. 2002


No comments:
Post a Comment